2020 Accredited Online Engineering Management Degrees
Online engineering management degrees are offered at 91 schools and at the associate, bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and certificate levels. Engineering management students will learn to combine engineering knowledge with management and business principles in order to take charge of teams working on engineering-related projects. Engineering management professionals oversee all aspects of a project, from initial planning to budgets to hiring staff and making sure that work is done correctly. They can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, research, and government. Prospective students comparing online engineering management programs should consider accreditation, both regional and programmatic. Our ranking list of the top 19 online master's programs in engineering management highlights the best degree options based on salaries of alumni provided by PayScale and program costs.
Comprehensive List of Accredited Online Schools - Engineering Management Degrees
Degree Overview & Career Information
This guide to an online engineering management degree covers associate, bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and certificate programs. At the associate level, students are likely to find programs in fields related to engineering management, such as engineering management technology, instead of in engineering management specifically. Graduates of an associate degree program may be able to find certain entry-level technician positions or may choose to continue study at the bachelor's level.
A bachelor's degree is the typical minimum requirement to find a job in a management-level position in the engineering field. Master's degree holders will have more opportunities for advanced positions within the field, and a master's degree may be the appropriate next step for someone with a few years of work experience in engineering who wants to make the transition into management.
Doctorate holders can seek work in research-based positions and upper-level management. Certificate programs are a good option for individuals who have work experience and a bachelor's degree and want to become engineering managers without committing to a full master's degree program.
Online Associate Degrees in
While fully online associate degrees are not offered in engineering management, there are online programs available in similar subjects that can help prepare students for more advanced study in engineering management. Those interested in an engineering management career might consider pursuing an associate degree in engineering management technology, for example. Students enrolled in this type of program will take general education courses as well as subject-area courses such as ethics, management basics, and computer programming.
An engineering management technology program typically takes two years to complete and consists of around 62 credits. Graduates from this type of program may be qualified to work as technicians or in other entry-level positions within the field. To be admitted to this type of program, prospective students must have a high school diploma or GED. Community colleges, four-year colleges, and universities offer online associate degrees in engineering management technology or related disciplines.
Online Bachelor's Degrees in
Job candidates must have a bachelor's degree to gain employment in engineering management. Students enrolled in engineering management bachelor's programs will take general education courses as well as courses focused on building understanding of engineering principles and managerial skills. Major-specific courses may include risk management, system dynamics, quality control, and digital electronics.
Upon program completion, graduates may be qualified to work in management-level positions in the fields of engineering and technology. A typical bachelor's degree takes around four years to complete, but may require less time if a student has transfer credits. Students should expect to complete around 120-125 credits total. To be admitted to a bachelor's degree program, applicants need to have a high school diploma or equivalent. Other typical admission requirements include SAT or ACT scores, transcripts, and personal essays.
Online Master's Degrees in
An online master's degree in engineering management is offered at many universities and is the most common type of engineering degree available in a fully online format. To learn more about online master's programs in engineering management, see our master's overview which includes a list of the best programs.
A few universities offer doctoral degrees in engineering management in a fully online format. Students enrolled in engineering management doctoral programs take a blend of core courses and electives. Doctoral-level courses cover topics such as entrepreneurship, data analysis, project management, economics, and finance. Students also must complete a research project. Earning a doctorate may prepare a graduate for research-based positions as well as advanced management positions in industries such as manufacturing, human systems engineering, and construction.
The amount of time it takes to complete a doctoral degree program depends on both the number of credits required by the program and the time taken to complete the research project component. Students must typically complete 45 or more credit hours. To be eligible for admission to a doctoral program in engineering management, an applicant should hold an undergraduate degree from an ABET-accredited program in engineering or a closely-related subject. Some programs require applicants to have master's degrees as well. Other requirements for admission include GRE scores, statements of purpose, and letters of recommendation.
Online Certificates in
There are a variety of colleges, universities, and technical schools that offer online, graduate-level certificates in engineering management or closely related fields. Typical certificate courses include Production Concepts, Technology and the Environment, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Quality, Financial Management, and Systems Engineering Management. Certificate programs consist of 15-18 credits and can be completed in a year or less.
An engineering management certificate may be a good fit for someone already working in the field of engineering and looking for career advancement. Upon completing their studies, certificate holders may have the skills and knowledge needed for management positions. Additionally, courses taken to complete a certificate program can be applied toward a master's degree program down the road.
The Importance of Accreditation
Accreditation status should be an important factor when choosing an online degree program. The first type of accreditation that students should be on the lookout for is regional accreditation. Regional accreditation applies to the college or university as a whole and is given when an independent, regionally-based organization determines that a school meets certain educational standards. Regional accreditation is important because only regionally accredited schools can take part in federal financial aid programs. Additionally, credit transfers are generally easier between accredited institutions, and students who wish to earn graduate degrees will need to have completed an undergraduate degree from accredited institutions.
The second type of accreditation is programmatic accreditation. This type of accreditation is granted when an organization in charge of accrediting specific types of programs, such as engineering programs, evaluates a particular school's program and determines that it meets a certain standard of academic rigor. ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) is the body that accredits engineering programs at the undergraduate and graduate level, in addition to programs in technology and applied science. Graduate engineering programs prefer applicants to have undergraduate degrees from ABET-accredited programs, and employers may also look more favorably on individuals who attended programs with this type of accreditation.
- 2016 - 2017 Major Map Engineering Management (BSE). Arizona State University. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/roadmaps/ASU00/ESEMGBSE/null/ONLINE/2016?init=false&nopassive=true
- ABET. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.abet.org/
- Admission Requirements: Undergraduate. Grantham University. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.grantham.edu/online-college-admissions/requirements/undergraduate-admissions/
- Doctor of Engineering. The George Washington University. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://emse.offcampus.gwu.edu/doctoral-degrees/doctor-of-engineering/
- Doctor of Engineering with a major in Engineering Management. Southern Methodist University Lyle School of Engineering. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.smu.edu/Lyle/Departments/EMIS/DegreePrograms/DEEM
- Engineering Management (BSE). Arizona State University. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/engineering-engineering-management-bse
- Engineering Management Online. Old Dominion University. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://online.odu.edu/programs/engineering-management
- Freshman Applicants. Arizona State University. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://asuonline.asu.edu/become-student/admission/freshman
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management. Central Michigan University. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://www.cmich.edu/Global/programs/Pages/degrees.aspx?dc=GCERT&cc=ENG
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management. Drexel University Online. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://online.drexel.edu/online-degrees/engineering-degrees/cert-egmt/index.aspx
- Engineering Management Technology (Associate of Arts). Grantham University. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.grantham.edu/online-degrees/engineering-management-technology-associates/
- Engineering Management Technology (Bachelor of Science). Grantham University. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.grantham.edu/online-degrees/engineering-management-technology-bachelors/
- Frequently Asked Questions. Kettering University Online. https://online.kettering.edu/why/FAQs
- Master of Science Engineering Management. Kettering University Online. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://online.kettering.edu/programs/masters/engineering-management-masters-online
- MS in Engineering Management. Drexel University Online. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://online.drexel.edu/online-degrees/engineering-degrees/ms-egmt/index.aspx
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Architectural and Engineering Managers. Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States of America. Accessed February 8, 2017. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/architectural-and-engineering-managers.htm#tab-1
- Regionally Accredited vs. Nationally Accredited: What's the Difference? American Intercontinental University. Accessed February 8, 2017. http://www.aiuniv.edu/blog/june-2015/regionally-accredited-vs-nationally-accredited