Best Psychology Graduate Schools
Psychology can be a very intriguing career area. What could be more relevant than learning about why people think, feel, and act in the ways they do? Nearly all careers in psychology require a graduate degree. Luckily for prospective students, there are more quality psychology degree options than ever before. Below you will find descriptions of some of the best online psychology programs available.
Capella University is an online college that serves adults looking to increase their credentials and skills. The school uses a competency-based model. This means that students advance in the degree by learning tangible, real-world skills. The college currently serves around 35,000 students and has a 95 percent alumni satisfaction rate.
- Programs Available: 8 doctorate degrees, 16 master's degrees, 7 certificates
- Why It's Great: Capella offers over two dozen graduate programs in psychology, so it shouldn't be hard to find a degree that fits your interests and career goals. The school offers research-based PhDs, as well as practice-oriented Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) programs. Program specializations include addictions, education, industrial/organizational psychology, child and adolescent behavior, and sport psychology.
- Accreditation: Capella's psychology programs have different accreditations, depending on the type of degree. The Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and the National Association of School Psychologists accredit particular Capella programs.
Northcentral University is an accredited 100 percent online university that was founded in 1996. About 95 percent of Northcentral University's students are enrolled in master's or doctoral programs -- graduate students will be among good company here. All of the college faculty members have a doctoral degree, so students can expect to learn from highly trained professionals.
- Programs Available: 6 doctorate degrees, 4 master's degrees
- Why It's Great: Northcentral University uses a one-to-one teaching model. This means that in every class, students are paired up with a single faculty member. This allows students to get more individual attention and benefit from the faculty member's experience. Graduates of the master's and doctorate programs in psychology can begin careers in academia, mental health services, research, or government.
- Accreditation: NCU has regional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
University of the Rockies is a graduate school offering programs in the social and behavioral sciences. The school's mission is to make high quality education available to busy adults. University of the Rockies' online psychology programs use asynchronous classes. This means students can complete assignments at the time that is most convenient for them.
- Programs Available: 10 doctorate degrees, 13 master's degrees, 1 certificate
- Why It's Great: University of the Rockies' clinical psychology doctorate is a great option for people who want to practice psychology independently. Students can specialize in clinical neuropsychology, forensic/correctional psychology, health psychology, marriage and family therapy, or sport neuroperformance. To complete the program, students have to complete 3,000 hours of clinical work and 30 hours of personal therapy, as well as the required classes.
- Accreditation: University of the Rockies has regional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The University of Phoenix was founded in 1976 and has been a leader in online education for over 20 years. The school offers training online, as well as at 200 campus locations worldwide. The University of Phoenix encourages students to pursue education while they are employed, so that they can apply what they learn in real rime.
- Programs Available: 1 master's degree
- Why It's Great: The University of Phoenix's Master of Science in psychology is a good choice for people who want to learn how to apply an understanding of human behavior to their professional lives. Students learn about the theories of human motivation and thought, as well as how to design a psychology research project. Students can choose to complete a thesis or do a coursework-only degree.
- Accreditation: The University of Phoenix has regional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.